Thursday, May 21, 2015

Day 123: Magic Kingdom, From Open to Close

Today was my first day of On the Job Training from 6:45am-3:30pm. I have training with a fellow CP, Ashley. Matthew is our trainer for most of our training, which I prefer over having multiple trainers.

We started by moving the trains out of storage with some other trainees. The track crosses over the Walt Disney World Railroad track so we have to wait for the all-clear to move them around. Once we sent them through, it was almost time for the walk-down. The walk-down is something we do to prevent guests from running through the park. We meet them in front of Frontierland, and we 'mosey', we don't walk or run towards the attractions.

After that, we went to a break room to do some reading. Basically we re-read what we did during the storage portion, and read some more about basic operations which probably won't make complete sense until we do it. We rode Thunder to learn where the lifts and safety brakes are, then we took our break in the Mouseketeria again.

We went into rotation for a little bit to learn some positions. We did greeter, which consisted of checking heights and making sure that all children were accompanied by adults. We also answered a lot of questions. It was super hot today. The heat index was 115! We drank lots of water and tried to stay indoors most of the day if we could.

The rain started coming down when we got bumped to our next assignment. We went up to Tower and waited for the rain to pick up, and soon we went 101 (downtime) and watched them close down the ride for rain. We keep the trains moving but no one can ride on them, which makes it easier to restart once we're clear for weather. We went back up in about half an hour. We stood near wheelchairs for a few minutes, then went to the Unload position. We got to push some buttons, check restraints, and get people in and out the ride efficiently.

After my shift was over, I returned to Magic Kingdom for the night with my family. We went on Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, and Big Thunder Mountain. To kill time before our Space Mountain fastpass and before conquering all 3 mountains, we went to Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor, where I got my joke read again. We went to the Confectionary and got a caramel apple to snack on during the Electrical Parade. We stayed to watch Wishes at my favorite spot, right between Casey's and the Plaza. I went back to my apartment because I work tomorrow, but my family stayed behind to ride the Mine Train.

'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment