Friday, October 31, 2014

The Learning Component of the DCP

So, today I wanted to talk about the Learning Component of the Disney College Program. This is one of the 3 main aspects of the program that they stress to new applicants: Living, Learning, and Earning.

While on the College Program, you can take up to 2 classes in the Spring and Fall. These will run roughly the same dates as each other. For the summer, there are two terms (Summer I and Summer II). You can take two classes in one term, or one class in each. But during the summer, you can only take a maximum or two.

The types of classes offered are divided into three main categories. These being Collegiate, Seminar, and Professional Development.

Collegiate classes are ACE accredited, meaning they are real college classes you can take for a grade. Some schools will accept them for transfer credit! The topics range from Marketing to Leadership to Innovation and more. These will be 4 hours a week for 11 weeks.

Seminar classes are shorter in length and duration. There are no notes, no tests, no homework. Many of these seminar classes are comprised of guest speakers. They range from the history of Disney, to Marketing, to Guest Service and more. They are 2 hours a week for 8 weeks.

Professional Development classes are only offered to those whose major is directly applied to the course subject. The three listed on the website are Engineering, Entertainment Show Production, and Security. These are only offered during the Fall and Spring. Like seminar classes, they are 2 hours a week for 8 weeks.

During my Disney College Program, I plan on taking several classes. Registration opens up November 10th, which is coming up soon! I want to take the Human Resource Management collegiate class. My university will accept this for transfer credit, so it'll help me graduate on time! Also, I think HR is really super interesting. And, my suitemate Rebecca (a good friend from University of Alabama) wants to take it too!

I'm also planning on enrolling in Exploring Guest Service. They invite leaders in various departments of operations throughout the Walt Disney World Resort to speak on what guest service is in their department. It seems like a fantastic networking opportunity, and a great way to grow and impress as a cast member!

If an extension is possible, I'd like to take the Marketing You collegiate course. My school will also (probably) take this as a transfer credit, which will help graduate on time. Additionally, I think it would be great to take a Marketing course through Disney, considering that's one of my majors. I would probably be able to meet some influential people that way!

Finally, I'd like to take Exploring Disney Heritage in the summer if I can. Basically, this course dives into Walt's history, building Disneyland and Walt Disney World, taking tours and doing scavenger hunts. Everyone I've ever talked to who has taken it recommends it highly, so I absolutely want to if I can fit it in!

I will definitely update this when I'm able to register for classes!

For more information of the courses offered, or to see the syllabi, click here!

'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment