Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Updates Part 2!

Hey guys! So, about this time maybe 2 weeks ago I was still trying to get everything squared away with my school. Good news! Everything is set and I am officially good to go for my DCP! Yay!

There was never really any doubt that it would work out, but it was still frustrating to deal with the run-around.

Basically, I'm on scholarship at school, which means I would deal with the Scholarships department. But I also need an internship credit for my hospitality degree, so I would deal with my advisors for hospitality.

After running around campus talking to advisors in both of my degrees, and e-mailing scholarships I finally was able to come to some semblance of an answer that I pieced together.

My contact in scholarships told me if I were to defer my scholarship for a semester, that would  be fine. However, I could not take any classes while I was down at Disney or my scholarship would be revoked and the credits would not count. But my internship credit counts as a class. So that left me scratching my head until I discussed it with my advisor.

She agreed to allow me to take the internship credit next fall (1 semester after I do the DCP). She e-mailed me the syllabus and all the assignments I needed to get my credit, so I will do the work while I'm in Florida, but I will turn it in during the Fall semester.

So, that leaves me with 1 deferred scholarship, 0 credits during the spring semester, my internship credit officially squared away, and one happy Taylor!

I will be taking a class during the DCP, but it'll be a seminar/networking class. One of the Explore series. That way I can network, it's slightly less hours in the classroom, and best of all- no tests!

Other than that, school's been going well. The material's very dry so it's kind of difficult to get through it, but I see the light at the end of the tunnel that is Disney!

I've started my job and my internship which is definitely keeping me busy. I work at my student union at the Information Desk, and I am a marketing intern at a Science Center in Birmingham!

So yeah, it's nice to see the progress I've made. One month ago, I was just starting the application process, doing my phone interview. I had just moved back into my apartment. Since then, I've been very productive and proactive, staying on top of things like this situation with my credits/scholarship, and I've already started purging things from my room that have just accumulated from me living there for over a year. It's nice to see how much stuff I'm working with, in terms of trying to move it back home/to Florida in January!

And to think, in less than 4 months, I'll be starting my College Program! I'm so incredibly excited still, which makes me super happy to know that it still means this much even weeks after I've been accepted.

Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment