Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Day 1: You Can't Step In The Same River Twice

After a very long trip that involved roughly 20 hours of driving, two nights in a hotel, and a minor league baseball game, I was finally able to check in to my second program today!

So, a quick side note about my roommate situation. We got the e-mail to fill out our DORMS registration about two weeks ago. When we did it, we were only able to link up with 2 other girls. So our apartment of 6 people was split into 2 groups of 3: Mary Beth, Kacy, and myself were in one group, and Abby, Jenny, and Jalyn were in the other.

We all found out we were in Vista Way several days ago. We now receive an arrival itinerary 3-5 days before we check in that outlines our first couple of days; it has our check-in information, casting, housing, and traditions (as well as drug tests and lifeguard tests if applicable). Since check-in is done at the complex you'll be living in, when we saw Vista Way we were all super excited that we would be in the same complex!

Jalyn and I had the same check-in time at 10:15am, so we met up in the parking lot to walk in together. After we got through the gate, we started walking through Vista towards the service center, when I heard my name being called. It was my old roommate, Kriss! She hung around while I went in to get checked in (the whole process takes about 5 minutes now- just taking my ID picture, and going over my itinerary) then we walked to our apartment. Jalyn and I compared our apartments, and they were not the same :( However, we ended up living right across the hall from each other!

I met my first new roommate Caroline right when I walked in. Her, Jalyn, and myself all had the same casting time so we turned around and headed back towards the bus. Once we got to Casting, I had a great chat with Kent, one of the education coordinators for the DCP, who went to Alabama, just like me!

This is where I also officially found out my work location. I GOT SUNSET Y'ALL. I get to be a strawberry, I AM SO EXCITED!!!!! I'll finally be able to work in a park all the time doing merchandise.

After we got back from casting, we met our other two roommates, Tiffany and Shayleigh.  These two had linked with Caroline, and ended up with our group of 3! We headed out to Wal-Mart and did some grocery shopping, and attempted to unpack a little bit.

We invited over the other girls across the hall to play Cards Against Humanity and had a great time. Some of Shayleigh's friends stopped by and played a few rounds too.

Overall, it was definitely an eventful first day back. It feels amazing being in Florida again, and I'm super excited to see how we all get along and make new friends!

'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment